Rehoboth Beach, DE
Last year, Sean won our annual game of golf to determine who would have the opportunity to choose where we would go for our anniversary. He choose Duck, North Carolina in the Outer Banks this year. He had been there when he was younger but I had never been. It was a great choice and extremely relaxing.
This year was a little different as we had another person to take into consideration. Guyon made the trip with us so it turned out to be our first family vacation as well as a celebration of being married for four years. Yes, you read that correctly, four years. Time seems to be flying by quickly.
We drove down on a Tuesday afternoon and arrived around 8pm. Guyon was an awesome traveler again but was extremely excited to get out of his car seat upon arriving.
Wednesday we started the day off by going to the Wright Brothers Memorial. It was very neat to see but was hot. It was a good thing we went on the early side because none of us would have lasted very long in the afternoon.
On our way back to the hotel we went thru a Brew Thru, a drive thru beer store. It was pretty neat and they had so many different types of beer.
After some rest and pool time, we went and got a pizza and walked around Duck a little bit.
Thursday, we decided we wanted to visit the Currituck Lighthouse and I was brave enough to wear Guyon as we hiked the 220 steps to the top. The view (and the workout) was so worth it. It was so pretty from the top and you could see for miles.
On the way back we stopped to have lunch at a place with a really great view….the food was ok but not great. Then it was off to the beach for a little bit before ordering dinner to pick up and have on our balcony. Since the weather was so hot (heat advisory type weather almost everyday) we had a a lot of take out dinners and ate on our balcony. Sean and I were completely ok with this since we had packed our own little stash of alcohol for the room. We had a great dinner that night from a place in Duck that was featured on Dives, Diners and Drive-Ins. It’s a gas station that does carryout food as well. Shockingly I didn’t take any pictures of food while we were there! HA!
Thursday was also the day we discovered that Guyon had cut both of his bottom teeth. At the same time.
Friday was a laid back day. We had breakfast and then it was off to the beach. Guyon took a nap as soon as we made our way down there. Sean and I both enjoyed just sitting there and testing out the much colder ocean water.
We cleaned up and it was off to play our mini golf game. We were both so excited to play since it was a course we didn’t know and we got to ride a mine train to the first hole.
Guess who won? I did! That’s right… the first time in four years. I guess that means I have to plan our vacation next year and it’s for the big 5 year anniversary meaning we will want to do something special. This may take all year to plan…….
Saturday, Sean really wanted to drive a jeep on the 4×4 beach. It is one of the only beaches where you can drive on the actually beach and park. We ended up not being able to take the jeep though because they were scared it was going to breakdown and they didn’t want that to happen since we had Guyon with us. SO we got our own private tour in a truck with air conditioning and a tour guide. It actually worked out really well. We got to see some wild horses and see some beautiful houses. Guyon slept the whole time. We did get him out just long enough to get a picture on top of Penny’s Hill though. It was soooo pretty up there. You could see for miles and the whole beach. It was super cool.
The next morning it was up early. We packed the car, walked to the beach to see the sunrise and then had breakfast before heading out to come back home. It was a short trip but an awesome one. We had such a great time and can’t wait for our next trip with Guyon. I really can’t wait to show him so many other places that I have been and others that I haven’t been to before. It’s amazing how when you have a child you see things so differently and you want them to experience as much they can. Who knows where our next stop will be?
This year we packed the car, the baby and headed south to the Outer Banks. We stayed right on the other side of that dune behind us and had a great time. More to come on our first vacation with our little man soon.
This year’s notebook was a little disappointing as the Chamberlins were the only ones who wrote in the notebook. We enjoyed reading it though.
This picture was taken right on the beach while Guyon was sleeping on the beach.
What’s Your Temperament?
– Super smiley baby, pretty much all of the time.
– You let us know when you are tired at night time and put yourself to sleep. Sometimes it makes getting dinner and bath hard to do.
– You aren’t liking napping lately. You try to stay awake for everything but we are working to get you to relax and sleep more often throughout the day.
What Are You Eating?
– You still eat every 3-4 hours. You will eat from a bottle when you aren’t with mom or we need you to eat a little faster than what you would with mom.
– You eat rice cereal every night for dinner.
What Are you Sporting?
– You are still wearing 6 month clothes for the most part. Some 6-9 month things and 9 month shorts and pajamas.
– When in disposable diapers you are now wearing size 3s.
How Are You Sleeping?
– You sleep for pretty much 10 – 11 hours a night. You very rarely wake up in the middle of the night.
– Naps are hard to catch but when we do get you to nap, you only nap for about 45 minutes – 1 hour.
Guyon Likes + Dislikes:
– Rice cereal
– The ocean. You fall right to sleep when by the ocean.
– Smiling. You are literally always smiling.
– Swimming in the swimming pool.
– Giggling in the bath tub.
– Being read to during the day.
– Your nebulizer.
– Napping when there is lots going on around you.
– Hot weather. You really don’t like being hot.
Fun Moments, Favorite Notes, Guyon Quirks + Milestones:
– Uncle Andrew came to visit. Boat visit and baseball game.
– Learned all about using a nebulizer….and taking steroids.
– New furniture in the basement and you were the first to test it out.
– Matching daddy in your Under Armour.
– Went for a ride in Granny’s buggy.
– Boat weekends including your first Kids Kruise with the Yacht Club (August 7th)
– Lots of front porch sitting.
– Tried out rice cereal for the first time. – July 22nd
– Rolled over from back to belly. (July 28th) Followed by belly to back. And now you roll all over the place.
– Sat in the high chair for the first time. – July 20th
– Drove past one of the sets for “House of Cards”
– Giggled a whole lot
– Went on your first vacation with mom and dad to the Outer Banks in North Carolina.(August 9 – 14) We visited the Wright Brothers Memorial, the Currituck Lighthouse, went on a Jeep Beach adventure, hung out on the beach and helped mom and dad celebrate their 4th Anniversary.
– You cut both of your front teeth on the same day. (August 10th)
Where I am with you…
I have one that was taken in the photo booth at the Yacht Club event and one that we took together.